Monday, January 23, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

I like to bake.  I like to eat baked goods.  I also am trying to lose the last of the pregnancy weight.  So I was excited when this recipe for baked oatmeal showed up in my facebook feed.  It looked yummy, and at least moderately good for me.  I made mental plans to make it Sunday morning.

It was fun to make.  I did a combination of fresh apples, strawberries, and blueberries, and added dried cherries.

It looked good going in, and smelled great while cooking.  The finished product looked pretty good too.  I discovered at the last minute that my husband had used our pie pan to make roasted vegetables the night before, so I had to use a cake tin instead.  This ended up being a good thing, as it made to much to go in the pie pan anyway.

Sadly, it was a bit disappointing.  Don't get me wrong, we all ate our pieces, but it just wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped.  It wasn't oatmeal-y enough.  I love oatmeal.  What other food is so good for you, and so tasty at the same time?  I find adding a bit of fruit, and a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, turns oatmeal into one of the tastiest food items on earth.  This had 1/3 cup of maple syrup, and tons of fruit, and it still managed to taste a bit bland.  

I'm making peanut butter cookies tonight to make up for this baking disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment